Monday, November 2, 2009

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale

Disappointing. I LOVE Shannon Hale's books! But not this one.

I've been thinking...(yes, I do that occasionally) maybe I was expecting too much. I am so not a fan of modern romances (clean or dirty). I don't even watch romantic movies (except the occasional romantic comedy). The Notebook? No way!!! So not my thing. I much prefer the incredibly polite and socially correct romances of Jane Austen or Elizabeth Gaskell. So maybe this is just a typical romance book and therefore, not my thing.

Becky Jack is a Mormon housewife who happens to meet mega-hot movie star Felix Callahan. They quickly become best friends. For a while I felt like the book was just a collection of witty conversations between Becky and Felix. It took a while to get to the meat of the story. Every one tells Becky to avoid even the appearance of evil and stay away from befriending a member of the opposite sex - in fact Becky has this same conversation with every character for the first 2/3 of the book. And then - SPOILER ALERT - her husband dies (which made me SOB! and I never cry at books - just too close to home) and she is confronted with an opportunity to be more than friends with Felix. I won't tell you what happens at the very end, but I was really disappointed.

I don't see how this book would appeal to a non-Mormon audience. There is an underlying theme of God's guidance throughout the book and lots of Mormon vocabulary. It was a quick, easy read, and I did find myself laughing out oud quite a bit, but overall - I would give it a thumbs down.

If modern romances are your thing - read it. If not, skip this one and read Jane Austen instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment