Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett


Classic.


I assume you all know the story. Mary is a 9 year old girl who grew up in India. Her parents didn't care for her so she was given everything she wanted by her ayah to keep her quiet. So she grew up a strong willed and sour child. At the beginning of the story Mary's parents die of Cholera and she is sent to Yorkshire, England to live with her uncle. In her new home, Mary learns of a garden that has been walled up and locked. She makes it her goal to find the garden and bring it back to life, which she does with the help of Dickon (her first friend ever). Mary makes another discovery in her melancholy house - Colin, her cousin, who is sick and bed-ridden and just as sour and strong willed as Mary. This story is about how the garden changes Mary and Colin both physically and mentally.


I remember when I was young watching a movie of The Secret Garden. It's the one done by Hallmark with Colin Firth playing the grown up Colin. It always kind of creeped me out. Especially the scene when Mary discovers her dead parents in her house. And then the creepy crying she hears in Misselthwaite Manor. The book isn't nearly as creepy, which I was glad of. But then again, I don't think it was as compelling either.


Reading this book made me so excited for spring. I want to plant a flower garden myself! I loved reading about all the flowers the children plant and how they took care of them. Just one question: how did these two recluse children ever know how to take care of a garden? I know they had Dickon, but before Dickon comes along, Mary somehow knows what to do. I dunno...But I loved the characters. I loved reading about Mary changing and growing - becoming more kind and understanding. And Dickon is the kind of boy we'd all like to know. I have to admit, I did get annoyed with Colin, but I could look past that because the other characters were so good. Martha, Mrs. Medlock, Ben Wetherstaff...all so real.


Because this is a children's book, it was a quick and easy read. I don't know how many out there enjoy reading children's literature as much as I do, but I would recommend this one anyway because it's a classic! How can you consider yourself well read and not have read this one!


Interesting note: I always thought that The Secret Garden and The Little Princess were very similar, but I didn't realize that Frances Hodgson Burnett wrote them both. So there you go. I guess I'll have to read The Little Princess next.


Bottom line: read it. Enjoy it. Dream about a flower garden in this dreary January weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment