Monday, January 31, 2011

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

"My name is Calpurnia Virginia Tate, but back then everybody called me Callie Vee. That summer, I was eleven years old and the only girl out of seven children. Can you imagine a worse situation?"
Callie is an eleven year old girl growing up in 1899 Texas. As the only daughter among six brothers she is often expected to accomplish more than she cares to: piano, cooking, embroidery, lace, conversation, etc. But Callie has no interest in the "domestic arts." She'd rather be swimming in the river, studying and classifying plants, insects, or animals, and spending time with her Grandfather. Grandfather is a naturalist (studies nature) and a friend of Charles Darwin. Callie spends her summer with Grandfather trying to learn everything she can, but her parents have different ideas for her. They want Callie to buckle down and get serious about preparing to run a house. It is so unfair that Callie can't follow her dreams just because she's a girl!
First of all, I have to say I love the cover of this book. Isn't it gorgeous? Doesn't it make you want to devour what's inside? I'd totally hang this on my wall. :) This book was recommended by Design Mom. She's been reading it to her daughters so I thought I'd give it a try.
At first I had a hard time getting in to this one. There was too much talk about species of grasshoppers and bats and I'm just not terribly interested in that. But the more I read the more I liked it. I think we can all identify with a character who is forced to be one thing when her heart desires something totally different. And even though I couldn't care less what kind of plant Callie and her Grandfather find, I was really rooting for a new species! I also love how Callie discovers what she wants in this story, but I was annoyed that (SPOILER ALERT!) you don't really find out if she ever gets it. The story just... ends. I wanted things to resolve! I wanted her and her mother to work out a compromise - or at the very least for her Grandfather to declare his intention to leave her all his money so she could follow her dreams! But I didn't get ANY of that! Sheesh!
I still think this is a worth while read. Fun, funny, and really heart felt. I absolutely found myself cheering for Callie and her Grandfather! And it may have inspired me to keep a "scientific notebook" too.
Question for the notebook: why do I have such a thing for silhouettes of birds in trees?

1 comment:

  1. I guess there hasn't been much reading happening huh? It's been 9 long months since you posted last. That's the length of a pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete